How to fix broken images after mySite URL change in SharePoint 2010?

January 27th, 2012

10 Responses so far.

1. Hey,

Awesome script really saved me!! I just had to fix one minor thing:

$userProfiles = $profileManager.GetEnumerator()

This line should actually be:
    $userProfiles = $userprofileManager.GetEnumerator()

As that is the variable created by the previous statement.

Thanks,
    Andreas

2. Norman Bauer says:

Oh thanks. I fixed that one.

3. Peter says:

Hi,

I’ve just changed the URL of the My Site, and I’m having a bit of issues with this script, since I’m a complete newbie to Powershell.

When trying to run the script I’m getting prompted for TypeName, could you tell me what I’m doing wrong here? Thanks!

4. Peter says:

Thanks a lot for this script, saved me heaps of trouble!
    In regards to the comment above, I was getting some errors due to the fact that I wasn’t running the script as a user with permissions to change the MySite.

5. Norman Bauer says:

@Peter
    You’re welcome… At least I did not mention that you better run this script in a Powershell elevated by a farm administrator. Thanks for the hint on that.

6. Jonathon McDougall says:

I was having trouble changing my URL from http://portal/my/ to http://portal/ – The script ran fine, but the old and new URLS were the same. I changed this line:

$newPictureUrl = $oldPictureUrl.Replace($mySiteOldUrlValue, $mySiteNewUrlValue)

to

$newPictureUrl = $oldPictureUrl -Replace($mySiteOldUrlValue, $mySiteNewUrlValue)

and everything worked.

7. [...] How to fix broken images after MySite URL change in SharePoint 2010 [...]

8. Duane Alleman says:

I have run this script and it completes without errors, but I noticed the path for some of the photos is:
    oldPictureUrl = https://mysite.companyname.net/user photos/profile picturesUser Photos/Profile Pictures/me_MThumb.jpg –> newPictureUrl = https://mysite.companyname.net/user photos/profile picturesUser Photos/Profile Pictures/me_MThumb.jpg

Any ideas how I can correct the duplicate path? If I manually remove the duplicate user photos/profile pictures (so that there is only 1 in the path) then it displays the picture in the browser.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

9. Norman Bauer says:

@Duane Alleman
    You could simply edit the script not to replace old vs. new url but replace that “double” url:

$newPictureUrl = $oldPictureUrl -Replace "user photos/profile picturesUser Photos/Profile Pictures", "user photos/profile pictures"

10. Norman Bauer says:

@Jonathon McDougall
    Thanks for the hint, I changed that.

7 − = 4